Master Electrician Job Description
American Stage is an Equal Opportunity Employer. American Stage does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Founded in 1977, American Stage is Tampa Bay’s longest-running, critically acclaimed professional theatre, committed to its role as a vital arts leader, contributing to the cultural landscape of the region by pursuing innovative programming and deeper connections with our community through our high-quality mainstage productions, our annual American Stage in the Park production, and our robust education and outreach programs. With powerful stories, boldly told, American Stage aspires to make the experience of dynamic, relevant, world-class theatre accessible for all.
At American Stage, we see the empty space as an opportunity for social change & civilized discourse to occur –one of the few sacred places left in a far too noisy, often divided, world where human beings can still sit in the quiet dark together, think a while, & be awakened. To gain a richer connection to the fragility of beauty & pain that exists in all art & life.
Theater of, by, and for all people. Artist-driven, radically inclusive, and fundamentally democratic. Through artistic excellence and the craft of storytelling, American Stage is committed to creating a safe space for multicultural artists to share their full humanity,
as we come back to the theatre at this exciting but challenging time. We choose to create a new American Stage that enriches and embodies the rich diversity and cultural tapestry of America and truly reflects the American experience.
American Stage seeks a contracted Master Electrician for the upcoming season of productions. The productions will be performed on the 180 seat Raymond James Stage at American Stage in downtown St. Petersburg. American Stage in the Park’s production of Footloose will be outdoors at Demens Landing. An ideal candidate is energetic and motivated to manage the power needs of the productions. The Master Electrician is responsible for the on-time planning and execution of the light plot and any other house lighting.
Experience as a Master Electrician at the professional level is preferred, but early career individuals with undergraduate or graduate degrees or equivalent work experience will be considered. This position is on a contract basis but has the potential
to lead to further employment on future productions.
- Adhere to all “We Will Return Safely” Health and Safety Plan requirements, including being fully vaccinated and occasional COVID-19 testing as the production calls for it.
- Meet with Lighting Designers to review completed light plot and review equipment availability and budget.
- Prepare the lighting plot for hang and focus and ensure it’s actualization
- Establish light circuiting and cabling layout plan
- Maintain all lighting paperwork
- Work with the Associate Artistic Director, Technical Director, and Stage Management to efficiently load in/strike the show
- Participate in both Focus and Programming Calls with the Lighting Designer
- Program and write Lighting Ques with the Lighting Designer during the Technical Rehearsal process.
- Communicate and coordinate crew needs with Associate Artistic Director
- Consult with the Lighting Designer and Associate Artistic Director on equipment needs.
- Arrange and pick up any necessary rentals for lighting equipment
- Communicate with Stage Management regarding schedules and crew assignments
- Track expenses within the show budget and report them to the Associate Artistic Director
- Organize and maintain the lighting inventory
- Secure and safe rigging of all lighting instrumentation
- Wiring of any practicals or scenic pieces that include lighting units
- Identify any training and needs of associated crew
- Manage the safety of the company on stage in relation to lighting elements
- Perform light checks before every performance
- Run the light board for all technical rehearsals and performances
- Restock all lighting inventory
- Arrange for return of borrowed or rented equipment.
- Be sure theater spaces are left clean and in orderly condition.
- Experience with the ETC EOS Board
- Ability to Program Ayrton Diablo 300W LED Moving Fixture
- Ability to Program ETC ColorSource Par
- Ability to Program Ocean Optic SeaChanger Units
- Ability to Hang, Cable, Program, Focus, and maintain approx. 175-200 fixtures per show.
- Proficiency with Vectorworks & LightWright
- Ability to safely use 6ft, 8ft, &12ft ladder and work at varying heights
- Able to work off a 16ft High tension grid above the stage
- Able to lift 75 lbs
- Understating of best theatrical practices in regards to hanging, circuiting, cable management, proper focus, changing of lamps, and standard accessories (templates, gobos, barndoors, etc.) for stage lighting equipment
- Budgeting and resource management
- Creative problem solving and troubleshooting
- Ability to collaborate with designers
- Team oriented and collaborative attitude
- Excellent Communication
Additional desired skills and responsibilities:
- Basic understanding of sound systems and equipment
- Experience with QLab
- Work with the sound designers to prepare for load-in and tech
- Troubleshoot any minor sound issues that may arise
- Knowledge of Clear Comm equipment
Compensation and Schedule:
The Master Electrician is a part time, seasonal, contract position. The position is contracted on a show by show basis.
Compensation: Approximately $2000 per production
Production Start and End Dates:
- The Odd Couple 9/28 - 11/24
- Jacob Marley’s Christmas Carol 11/9 - 1/7/22
- School Girls or the African American Mean Girls Play 1/4/22 - 3/4/22
- Footloose the musical 2/28/22 - 5/13/22
- Dutchman 5/27/22 - 8/5/22
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us why you are the ideal candidate for this specific job.