Art connects us, heals, and shifts the way we perceive our world. Art reveals the beauty of life, which is especially important when we experience depression, anxiety, loneliness and stress. “Murals in Mind” is a new program from the St. Pete Arts Alliance (SPAA) that brings our community of artists together to support and uplift wellness for all, because ART HEALS.
With the idea that ART can encourage better MENTAL HEALTH, we partnered with Community Foundation Tampa Bay and Love IV Lawrence and identified various SHINE murals throughout St. Petersburg that evoke inspiration. We worked with Dr. Paige Dickenson from Eckerd College, a psychologist trained in trauma and art therapy and added performance to these murals (music, poetry, dance, drama), so that viewers can stand in front of the mural or watch remotely and experience the merging of visual and performance art through Pixelstix technology on their smartphone. (Videos can also be viewed on a tablet or desktop.)
SPAA recognizes that art and artists represent and communicate the possibilities of a limitless and meaningful world. By no means will this serve as therapy, but when someone is having a particularly difficult day, sometimes reading, listening to music, or absorbing art, allows them to alter their mood or their emotion towards the positive. It is that simple, just a shift in perspective through ART!
Create your own Group Tour of the Murals in Mind Outdoor Gallery and experience art and its therapeutic benefits. This is a free way to enjoy the unique culture of St Petersburg by bike or by car. Click here to learn everything you need to host a group outing!
Murals in Mind is Best Experienced in Person!
Here are the instructions for how to watch and listen (Scroll down for the mural addresses and a Google map)
- Scan the QR code attached to each MIM Mural and start your immersive experience!
- Or use the Pixelstix app! The MIM PixelStix Map-Tap is an interactive way to drive, bike or walk to each piece in the MIM gallery. Once there in front of the mural, the app is used again to tap the P inside the map which will launch the exhibit.
Take a Self-Guided Mini Tour
Murals in Mind in the News
- ‘Murals in Mind’ promotes positivity and wellness by the St. Pete Catalyst
- “Murals in Mind” Gallery Opens Valentine’s Day by the Tampa Bay Newswire
- These St. Petersburg murals will come alive with virtual performances by the Tampa Bay Times
- Murals in Mind Shines a Light on Mental Wellness by Destination Tampa Bay
- Bringing St. Pete’s murals to life through ‘Murals in Mind’ by WFLA Daytime TV Show
- Murals in Mind Strive for Mental Wellness by Creative Pinellas
Arts for Mental Health Related Content
Here are the murals in the Murals in Mind (MIM) program.
We’d love to hear your feedback about the Murals in Mind Project.