Art connects us, heals, and shifts the way we perceive our world. Art reveals the beauty of life, which is especially important when we experience depression, anxiety, loneliness and stress. “Murals in Mind” is a new program from the St. Pete Arts Alliance (SPAA) that brings our community of artists together to support and uplift wellness for all, because ART HEALS.
With the idea that ART can encourage better MENTAL HEALTH, we partnered with Community Foundation Tampa Bay and Love IV Lawrence and identified various SHINE murals throughout St. Petersburg that evoke inspiration. We worked with Dr. Paige Dickenson from Eckerd College, a psychologist trained in trauma and art therapy and added performance to these murals (music, poetry, dance, drama), so that viewers can stand in front of the mural or watch remotely and experience the merging of visual and performance art through Pixelstix technology on their smartphone. (Videos can also be viewed on a tablet or desktop.)
SPAA recognizes that art and artists represent and communicate the possibilities of a limitless and meaningful world. By no means will this serve as therapy, but when someone is having a particularly difficult day, sometimes reading, listening to music, or absorbing art, allows them to alter their mood or their emotion towards the positive. It is that simple, just a shift in perspective through ART!
If you would like to get involved with this program in the future, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or donate to MURALS IN MIND today!
Here are the murals in the Murals in Mind (MIM) program.
Experience Murals in Mind in Person
Visit these murals and experience Murals in Mind in person! Here are the instructions for how to watch and listen.
- Scan the QR code attached to each MIM Mural and start your immersive experience!
- Or use the Pixelstix app! The MIM PixelStix Map-Tap is an interactive way to drive, bike or walk to each piece in the MIM gallery. Once there in front of the mural, the app is used again to tap the P inside the map which will launch the exhibit.
Murals in Mind in the News
- St. Pete Catalyst - https://stpetecatalyst.com/
- Tampa Bay Newswire - https://www.tampabaynewswire.
com/2023/02/14/murals-in-mind- gallery-opens-valentines-day- 2-116341
- Tampa Bay Times - https://www.tampabay.com/life-
culture/arts/2023/02/14/these- st-petersburg-murals-will- come-alive-with-virtual- performances/
- Destination Tampa Bay - https://destinationtampabay.com/murals-in-mind-shines-a-light-on-mental-wellness/
We’d love to hear your feedback about the Murals in Mind Project.