Deadline: March 15, 2024
Mayor’s Neighborhood Storm Drain Mural Program – City of St. Petersburg
The City St. Petersburg is inviting talented local artists to contribute to an exciting "Drains to the Bay" educational initiative. We are seeking artists to create vibrant murals on our city storm drains that will help to raise awareness about the importance of litter prevention in our stormwater drainage systems. Residents may have the opportunity to assist the artist in painting these murals, transforming stormwater drains across the city into stunning works of art.
One artist per participating neighborhood will be chosen to provide a design concept(s) for the respective neighborhood’s storm drains. This concept will be used to design and paint up to 6 storm drains keeping a consistent theme throughout the neighborhood.
Artists will have an opportunity to meet with members of the selection committee to learn about the project and to ask any questions they may have via an online virtual meeting platform. During this pilot phase, one artist will be chosen to work with our pilot neighborhood, Barcley Estates. However, this will be an ongoing project with multiple artists selected over time to partner with various neighborhoods across the city. Artists meeting the selection panel’s criteria will remain in the selection pool for up to 24 months.
All final design entries will need to meet the following criteria:
1. Any depiction of animals or plants must be native to the region.
2. Acceptable verbiage includes, but is not limited to:
a. Nothing But Rain Should Go Down This Drain
b. I Lead To The Gulf/Bay/Lake
c. Keep Drains Clean To Keep Our Water Pristine
d. Sunshine City Waters Gleam Because We Keep Our Storm Drains Clean
e. Keep Storm Drains Clean, We Are All Downstream
g. Only Rain Down This Drain
h. A Healthy Gulf/Bay Starts Here
3. Designs must cover the entire storm drain lid (painting on the road is not permitted)
4. Meet the goal of educating the public on litter prevention
5. Be able to be re-created within the stated budget
Call to Artists Important Dates:
• Application Submission Open (no artwork is requested at this time): 2/12/24 (Link to Application below)
• Artist Information Session: 3/4/24 at 6pm (Click Here to Join The Meeting)
• Deadline to Submit Application: 3/15/24
• Selected Artists Will Be Notified: Artist selected for the pilot phase will be notified 3/22/24
• Design Concept(s) and Budget Due: 4/1/24
• Walkthrough and Completion : No later than 4/30/24
• Touch-ups (if needed): 3 days to complete touch-ups following walkthrough
Initial Design Concept for neighborhood (including two revisions): $300
Additional Design Drafts (including two revisions) Completed Murals (per storm drain): $500
Total Paid to Arist (6 storm drains): $3300
Materials Stipend: Based on submitted artist’s budget up to $300